1. Many Christians have mixed feelings about Halloween; I have friends who celebrate the holiday whole heartily and others who do not. I found two links I would like to share that discuss the origin of “All Hallow’s Eve”, and how Halloween can be redeemed. Please read and let me know what you think.
2. Thursday, was day 37 of 40 Days for Life., so far 484 babies have been saved. It was also the day that our newly constructed Planned Parenthood had a ribbon-cutting ceremony. About 50 people from our local 40 Days for Life were there in peaceful vigil to protest. I got the call when I was grocery shopping so the girls and I showed up a little late with our Red Rider wagon and our “Choose Life” signs.
3. In August, Ladybug donated 12-inches of her hair to Lock of Love. This Tuesday, Ladybug received a “Locks of Love” merit badge from her Girl Scout troop. It was so thoughtful of her troop leader to recognize her.
4. I received a few requests for the spiced pumpkin cheesecake recipe from this week’s Wordless Wednesday photo. Here it is:
Spiced Pumpkin Cheesecake
5. This week I borrowed E.D. Hirsch’s What your Kindergartener Needs to Know from the library. I have been reading the fables to my girls, and they absolutely love hearing the stories. We also used the book to help learn about the Earth, maps, compasses and globes this week. Speaking of maps, my girls received a generous gift of the Animals of the World from my friend, Cindy. The map is beautifully illustrated with comically animal characters. It measures 54″ X 38″, in fact it was so big we had to hang it in our hallway! Perfect timing on this map, because Ladybug is learning the seven continents, and the animals help her distinguish and identify them. Very Cool!
6. Great discussion in my Moms’ Prayer group about the Biblical basis of the Eucharist, the Living Bread of Christ. The conversation morphed into a discussion of we as Catholic Christian mothers can teach our children more about the Bible. Next week’s chapter is on Time Management. We are currently reading Graced and Gifted by Kimberely Hahn. Another book, I am interested in reading the The War of Art by Steven Pressfield. Jennifer described it in her blog as a field guide to spiritual warfare.
7. This has been a tough week for me, due to my hormones. I have not slept, and I have not felt like myself all week. I hate to say this, however to leave it out would not be authentic. I am trying to focus on the joys of the week: my children enjoying stories, my prayer group, a good cause, even a perfectly baked cheesecake…I am glad to see Friday here, and knowing that Sunday I will be able to start fresh.
Please join Jennifer at the Conversion Diary for more quick takes.