1. With Hurricane Earl bearing down on us, we are leaving home in the wee small hours of the morning to visit our dear friends in Atlanta over the Labor Weekend. This trip is a minimum of 10 hours each way with a three-year old and a five-year old , so please say a prayer for us. I hope to come back rested, refreshed, and with my house intact…well, I can dream!
2. Here’s a shot of Rick’s new project, collecting rainwater. He bought two 58 gallon olive barrels for $20 each off Craig’s List. The entire set-up cost about $100, and that includes a new 25′ gutter for that side of the garage.
3. To finance his project, Rick has started selling our garage “clutter” on Craig’s List, last month he sold $165 worth of “stuff”. Way to go Rick!
4. I am a big library person, but if you order books online, consider half.com. Rick bought his textbook for this semester for $9, the college bookstore was charging $100 new, and $50 used for the exact same book. I also bought the Bob books through half.com and saved about 50%.
5. Speaking of the library, I am so excited I found Family Feasts for $75 a Week by Mary Ostyn at my local library. I am bringing it with me on the trip. This summer I have reduced our grocery bill to about $100 per week, but am ready to save even more.
6. My new schedule is working well, time to pray,time to think, time to exercise, and time to home school in that order. As for cleaning the house, I am tacking one project a day during the week. This works well, IF I have planned the evening meal ahead of time. For my big projects, Rick is taking the girls for some “Daddy Time” on the weekends for about two hours. I have the satisfaction of actually completing a task. Two weekends ago, he took the girls to play with train sets for our local bookstore. I was able to clean the playroom, and rid it of many outgrown or unused toys. I felt so good when I dropped two large bags off at the Salvation Army. It’s been two weeks, and the girls have not missed any of these toys! Here are the “Before” and “After” shots.
7. I have enjoyed our short week of full-time home school. Bumblebee is learning along side Ladybug. I love circle time. Picture the three of us marching around our living room singing”She’s A Grand Ole Flag”. I have always liked that song. Each day the girls take turns carrying our 9 X13 flag. It’s the perfect size for them!
Please join Jennifer at the Conversion Diary for more Quick Takes