This Quick Takes is hosted by Betty Beguiles this week.
1. This is volume 8 of my Quick Takes. Both of my daughters’ birthdays are on the 8th of the month, one in April, one in August. When we were in China we were family #8 in our travel group, and in the Chinese culture the # 8 is considered lucky similar to #7 in ours.
2. This past Sunday, Bumblebee turned three and her request, we celebrated with a Purple Princess Pizza Party. I chickened out on making my pizza dough, however a friend of my husband clued us into a special at the neighborhood pizzeria and we able to order 7 pizzas for $42. All the preparations went well, except for the cake…
3. Let me first say, I am no baker…so Saturday afternoon, Rick took the girls to the park so I could decorate the cake with no interruptions. A friend of mine lend me a Wilton cake castle kit complete with turrets and cones. I baked and frosted the multi-tiered, with no problem. I placed the turrets and other decorations according to the instructions. I then used the special decorative icing to finish the project. It was not perfect, but for my skill level, I was proud of the results. Then, about one hour later, one of the turrets came down taking the top layer of the cake with it. By the time my husband got home with the girls, I was in tears. So, I started all over again, with a simpler model. Here are the results:
4. I hate to sound negative, but for the past three weeks, I have been feeling absolutely miserable. I have been suffering for migraines and hot flashes that have robbed my body and mind of what I need the most, a good nights’ sleep. I feel like a volcanic mess of hormones. At 45, I am going through menopause. I do not want to be a wimp, and I do not want to take hormone replacement therapy, but something has got to give.
5. Due to my lack of sleep, I am missing out on my precious “alone” time in the morning. I miss looking out my front window with a cup of coffee and my laptop reading the daily scriptures before everyone else wakes up.
6. Off of Craig’s List, my husband purchased two large plastic containers, and now he is collecting rainwater for his garden. They were $20 a piece, and somehow he is going to incorporate them into the gutter system. This should prove interesting…
7. Two more weeks of swimming lessons, and then we start full-time home school for my kindergartener. Does anyone have any ideas for Circle Time that would engage a five-year old and a three-year old?